Thursday, January 24, 2013

Journey Forth to the Eternal City

All the preparations have been made, down to buying the bread and cheese.

Tomorrow, I will be on my way to the Eternal City, the city at the center of my faith.  And I can't begin to express how excited I am.

A couple months ago, I received a message from my brother, telling me that he had a meeting in Rome the weekend of January 25; would I like to meet him there?  After thinking about it for approximately 5.8 seconds, I (excitedly) agreed.  The hotel reservations were made over Christmas break, but it wasn't until Monday that I realized how close this trip actually was... we finally booked plane tickets, and figured out the bus schedule.  Now, it's happening.

It is my first time to the Vatican, although I've seen a multitude of pictures from various friends who have been there.  But I have a feeling that mere photos can't do it justice.  The glory of St. Peter's Basilica, the ancient Church artifacts, and the fullness of history that has taken place in that tiny little country is mind-blowing.

And tomorrow I will be there.

I will not be there as a mere tourist; I'll be there to participate in the history, to partake in the beauty that is Catholicism.  And, if I'm lucky, I'll get to see the earthly representative of Christ Himself, Pope Benedict.

You all remain in my prayers as I travel this weekend.
xoxo,
Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment