Wednesday, November 7, 2012

show us where to go

Well, last night was interesting, to say the least.

Yes, this is a political post.  In my (ever-so)humble opinion, I have spared you all from rants and raves throughout this election season, so maybe you can put up with one little tiny political post?  Perhaps?  Good, I thought so.

Um... what happened last night?  Really, America?  Right now, I'm just sad.  Does our country realize what it's done to itself?  I honestly don't think it does.  We just re-elected a man who is against religious freedom, against life, and is driving our country further and further into debt.  And yet, we've re-elected him.

Needless to say, campus was going nuts both last night and today.  Reactions ranged from "WHATTHEHECK" to "Well, that's the end, then" to "I'm moving to Canada/Malta/Australia/[insert country of choice here]".

This election was a deciding point for our country.  I truly believe that everyone will be affected in some way, shape, or form.

My professors will no longer have health care, because Franciscan University of Steubenville will not support a mandate that provides birth control.
I will most likely not have health care after college, because any parish I work for will have the same mentality of Franciscan. (just for clarification, this is a good thing!)
Catholic OB-GYNs could potentially be forced to close down.
Any retirement home is in danger of forcing to euthanize their residents.
Unborn children are still at risk of being murdered.
Any nursing majors here at school could be required by law to assist at abortions or to recommend birth control.
--This is not ok!  Talk about removing freedoms...

Now, I'm not one to think that the world is over and we're all doomed to go to Hell in a handbasket.  There's still hope.  The church militant is rising up, and the youth of my generation are impassioned!  We can't sit by and just let all this happen, but at the same time, we must trust that this is either ordained or allowed by God for a reason.  We are meant to be alive right now, we are meant to have our Catholic faith at this point in time.  We must work alongside our Lord, stay in tune with His will, and pray for our country and our President.

Speaking of praying for our president, 5 friends and I were talking at lunch today, and we've decided to start something kinda big.  It involves facebook, twitter, tumblr, and lots and lots of praying.  We're still in the baby steps, but in the next couple days (yes, days.  we're movers and shakers here at Franciscan!)  we should have this up and running!  I'll be sure to let you know what's going on!

Peace,

No comments:

Post a Comment