Monday, August 29, 2011

A New Beginning

It's so wonderful to be here at last!!  Here's a short little synopsis of my first weekend here--

Thursday was a jam-packed day.  My parents and I woke up at 5 and hit the road by 6:45.  5 hours and a Starbucks stop later, we arrived in Steubenville!!  The following hours were spent moving in and trying to get my room into some semblance of order.  Friday there were a couple general meetings for everyone who was here, and then more unpacking.... unpacking and organization pretty much took up every spare moment that I had. :)  I also took my French placement exam on Friday morning, and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I tested out of both French 101 and 102!!  So, now I'm able to go directly into 201 and replace my elementary French classes with Communications classes, which can count toward my minor, possibly giving me a triple major.  Confused yet?  Yeah, me too.  ;)  Friday I also dropped my 6th class, Geology, so that I now have a more manageable 15 credits.  I was waiting until I placed into French to decide about Geology.  There were more meetings on Saturday, and that evening was the semi-formal dance, which was (surprisingly) a LOT of fun!!  I met some new people and it was a really good time.

Sunday I went to Mass and brunch with Mom and Dad, and then they headed back home... I went to a presentation "The Complete Works of Shakespeare Abridged", which was quite funny, then an ice cream social, and then... wait for it ..... swing dancing!!  That was a lot of fun. :D  I'm so excited to learn some new swing dance moves

And then we come to today.  I was able to sleep in a little bit, which was quite nice after a late night last night.  After breakfast I had two academic orientation sessions- one in Theology and Catechetics.  Those were amazing..... I got to see Scott Hahn, Bob Rice, and Marcus Grodi all in one day!  (And yesterday, I saw Righteous B!)  I thought that was pretty exciting.  Fr. Terry celebrated the Convocation and Opening of the School Year Mass this afternoon, so now we've officially started school!!  The ministry fair was also this evening, and I signed up to receive information about a mission trip to North Dakota, the pro-life group, a group that goes to soup kitchens, the sacristans, and SENT- a group that puts together and presents retreats for 8th-12th graders.  Obviously, I won't be doing all of those, but this way I can find out a little more about each of them.  Funny, I opened my book The Way by St. Josemaria Escriva, and the first thing I read was concerning not doing too much, and being good at those few things that you are involved in.  God really has a funny sense of humor. :)

I honestly can't believe that college classes begin tomorrow.  I'm really looking forward to them!
xoxo,

No comments:

Post a Comment